Sunday, March 19, 2017

Looking for Lilith -- the female night demon


Let's talk about Lilith. No, I do not mean the character portrayed by Bebe Neuwirth in Frasier (the TV series). I am talking about the one who is (sort of) in the Bible. Well, let me explain.

You see, I once heard the name Lilith mentioned in connection with Adam (normally associated with Eve and the Garden of Eden), but I had trouble finding her in the Bible because I was looking in all the wrong places. Now I have tracked her down. 

First, here is a bit of whimsy:

Lilith and Adam
fought night and day in Eden.
Now he is with Eve.

                                          * * * * *

Now, more seriously, there is this excerpt from an interesting article:

One talmudic reference claims that people should not sleep alone at night, lest Lilith slay them (Shabbath 151b). During the 130-year period between the death of Abel and the birth of Seth, the Talmud reports, a distraught Adam separates himself from Eve. During this time he becomes the father of “ghosts and male demons and female [or night] demons” (Erubin 18b). And those who try to construct the Tower of Babel are turned into “apes, spirits, devils and night-demons” (Sanhedrin 109a). The female night demon is Lilith.

Read much more about Lilith and the rest of the fascinating story, via this link.



8 comments:

  1. In some fantasy literature Lilith is the first Vampire. I remember reading a particularly creepy story about her but I'm struggling to remember either book or author.... [muses]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems crazy, but I can still remember the tag line they used for the 1964 film starring Warren Beatty and Jean Seberg: "Before there was Eve, there was evil, and her name was LILITH."

    Never saw the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such interesting mythology. It seems that Lilith may have influenced a lot of mythology about female demonic figures throughout the ages.

    Great literary detective work in tracking her down R.T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CyberKitten, Jeffrey, and Brian: Thanks for visiting and commenting. Yes, Lilith is quite the interesting figure. However, I confess that I cannot hear the name without thinking first of the character on the Frasier TV series. Writers of the program must have had a good time loading the characterization with tidbits from mythology, knowing though that those tidbits would never be understood by 99% of the people who watched the series. My discoveries via the linked article might send me back to watching Frasier reruns. Perhaps I would now "catch" the embedded jokes about Lilith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just *loved* Lilith in Frasier. So smart, so witty, such ethereal beauty. I developed quite a 'thing' for her - although I can definitely see why their relationship didn't work out. Logic Vs Emotion is never going to be a good match - for long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what's Fraser? Lilith i've read about a bit, but only as a sort of female will of the wisp... sigh,,, my ignorance...

      Delete
    2. Mudpuddle, here is a helpful link:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frasier

      Delete
    3. tx, Tim... "the world is so full of a myriad of things..."

      Delete