Thursday, July 13, 2017

Up, up, and away (and the need to know more)


Life has a strange way of throwing up new challenges when I least expect them. This afternoon presented me with a different kind of challenge. But this is an opportunity that I welcome. Let me explain.

I have been asked by a friend to "work" a little bit as a volunteer in a military history museum at which aviation is featured. My fun-filled "job" will be limited to a few hours a week during which I will be available to answer visitors' questions about hundreds of military aviation exhibits. I think the people at the museum must be desperate for volunteers if they will recruit an over-the-hill hobbled curmudgeon like me. However, I've been told that my involvement at the museum might help slow down the enlargement of those holes in my Swiss-cheese memory. Well, maybe. We'll see.



So
, I guess I had better learn a few things before I'm confronted with those visitors' questions. Because I need to know more than I know now, I will be reading as much as I can about 20th century military history and aviation. And because I have a limited capacity for concentration -- yes, as an obsessive-compulsive, I have a one channel mind -- this blog will be dedicated to my full immersion. Therefore, postings, when (and if) they appear, will be reports on my discoveries. 

I
f you are interested in 20th century military history and naval aviation, welcome aboard. 




11 comments:

  1. sounds like an opportunity... i see new, widening vistas on the horizon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mudpuddle, but I must be careful: I do not want to crash and burn.

      Delete
  2. I'll definitely be interested in this topic as you pursue it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you well, Tim, as you try this new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. R.T.,

    Having spend four years in the USAF, I'm interested in your upcoming posts. Unfortunately I know little about the history of USAF, aside from it once being the US Army Air Force or Army Air Corp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Air Force, Fred? I don't think I knew that about you. I just read something about the Army's air force in WW1 and Theodore Roosevelt's son. Perhaps I will post something about that soon.

      Delete
    2. R.T.,

      Don't think I mentioned it before. I spent my four years in the School of Aerospace Medicine at Brooks AFB in San Antonio, Texas.

      Delete
    3. Fred, that sounds like an interesting tour of duty. I've been to San Antonio a couple of times, and I've pondered relocating there, but I'm pretty much anchored here for my remaining days.

      Delete
    4. R.T.,

      It was very interesting, and I thought at that time that I would have stayed there if they had offered me a civilian position. But, it was not to be.

      Delete
  5. The other month I found a hardbound copy of Crossing the Line, Alvin Kernan's memoir of enlisted carrier service, at Second Story Books. After buying it, I noticed that it was inscribed by Kernan to the classicist Bernard Knox. I'm a bit surprised that Second Story had it on the $4 cart rather than on the first editions shelf.

    With or without inscription, the book is worth reading. I sent a copy to an uncle who had served twenty years largely on carriers, and he thought very well of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George, thanks for the recommendation. I'll be searching for a copy.

      Delete