Saturday, June 17, 2017

"To Daffodils" by Robert Herrick


First there is this by Robert Herrick:

Fair daffodils, we weep to see
     You haste away so soon:
As yet the early-rising sun
     Has not attained his noon
               Stay, stay,
     Until the hasting day
               Has run
     But to the evensong;
And, having prayed together, we
     Will go with you along.

We have short time to stay as you;
     We have as short a spring;
As quick a growth to meet decay,
     As you or anything.
               We die,
     As your hours do, and dry
               Away
     Like to the summer’s rain;
Or as the pearls of morning’s dew,
     Ne’er to be found again.


And there is this personal postscript:

For some reasons, this is to me at the same time one of the saddest and most comforting of poems. It causes me to weep and smile. I guess I'm peculiar. What are your reactions and thoughts.


6 comments:

  1. "For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away...." KJB

    Herrick fan here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marly, I must read more KJV. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. i like Herrick. my mental image of him is of a day laborer, somewhat irascible and dogmatic, but with his head in the clouds at the same time... nice poem, but i think i like Frost's better... maybe that's because of my day-dreaming romantic persona ha ahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Day dreaming is underrated, Mudpuddle.

      Delete
  3. I think it really captures the fragility of life, Tim. And exactly because life is fragile, we need to make the most of it. At least that's how I see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Margot, that's the word ..... fragility.

      Delete