Thursday, June 15, 2017

The cat goes out to make love


First there is this from The Writer's Almanac:

It's the birthday of Japanese poet Kobayashi Issa (books by this author), born in Kashiwabara, Japan (1763). He's one of the masters of the Japanese form of poetry called haiku, which uses 17 Japanese characters broken into three distinct units. He spent most of his adult life traveling around Japan, writing haiku, keeping a travel diary, and visiting shrines and temples across the country. By the end of his life, he had written over 20,000 haiku celebrating the small wonders of everyday life. He's a big reason haiku became so popular in Japan and around the world.

Personal Postscript:


Here, one that surprised me as the "owner" of three cats -- Two Tone, Gray, and Snowball -- and made me smile this morning, and made me envious of cats, is a wonderful haiku by Issa:

Having slept, the cat gets up,
yawns, goes out
to make love.


5 comments:

  1. Haiku is a really elegant form of poetry, isn't it, Tim? I can see how you admire it. And that's a lovely description of the way cats act, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, I've learned that I can own dogs but not cats. They are weird little.devils.

      Delete
  2. Tim,

    Haiku are one of my favorite types of poetry. Basho is my favorite haiku poet. I once bought a book titled _Ten Haiku Masters_ and was surprised when I opened it to find no poetry by Basho. In the intro, the editor said that these were known as the ten masters of haiku, but Basho wasn't included because he was known simply as "the haiku poet." All Japanese readers knew who that was.

    Issa is known for his many animal haiku: dogs, cats, crickets, as well as plants, especially flowers.

    "Amorous cat, alas
    You too must yowl with your love. . .
    Or even worse, without!
    -- Yaha --

    ReplyDelete