Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Updated and Revised: 221B Baker Street


Here is a preview of coming attractions: 

I am henceforth narrowing my blogging focus because of my diminished energies and my shortened attention span, and as part of my more narrow plan for blogging, I will be reading and discussing (almost exclusively) Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes novels and stories. I will not be "reviewing" the Holmes novels and stories, at least not in a conventional sense, but I hope instead to focus on some often overlooked details, some obscure nooks and crannies in the "consulting detective's" fictional world, and perhaps that kind of more specific attention will make for some interesting postings and discussions. So, even with my abilities fading and my Swiss-cheese brain softening but with a never say die attitude, I will somehow press forward into Victorian England, 221B Baker Street, and all sorts of hidden alleyways and country lanes as I follow along with Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson as they pursue their adventures. I hope you will be able to join me. We begin, of course, at the beginning: A Study in Scarlet. The game is afoot! 


Comments? Thoughts? Questions? 


Note: The foregoing has been deleted. If you want an explanation, one will be coming soon in a newer posting.

9 comments:

  1. Certainly Conan Doyle was one of the most influential writers of the genre, Tim. And Sherlock Holmes has become an iconic character. I look forward to what you have to say about both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherlock is more famous than most of the politicians in history... and a better person... looking forward to your posts and peering into some of the unknown corners...
    i read the canon at least 3 times in my youth; but, like you, my memory has been getting worse by the week; probably alzheimers is not far off... well, what do i expect at 74, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memory is overrated, Mudpuddle, especially when we old farts get to meet new people and read new books and have new experiences for the first time in spite of all prior encounters.

      Delete
    2. tx, Tim: i need all the encouragement i can get...

      Delete
  3. Tim,

    Looking forward to your posts on the greatest detective of all time.

    Readers are still sending letters to 221B Baker Street, asking for his help, advice, or comments on their problems. I understand that the business at that address has one employee whose only task is to deal with Holmes' mail. That may not be true, but if it isn't, it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred, I have information for you about the address and correspondence, but I'm saving it for a separate posting. How's that for a "stay tuned" preview?

      Delete
    2. Tim,

      chuckle. . .

      That's called a "teaser," if I'm not mistaken.

      Delete
    3. Yes, Fred, you're not mistaken. Hmmm. Hint: 221b did not exist but does exist (in a way).

      Delete