Saturday, June 3, 2017

Review: The President is a Sick Man


The President Is a Sick Man: Wherein the Supposedly Virtuous Grover Cleveland Survives a Secret Surgery at Sea and Vilifies the Courageous Newspaperman Who Dared Expose the Truth (Hardcover – May 1, 2011) by Matthew Algeo 

Here is my very concise review; I invite your feedback.

I enjoyed this fine, richly detailed, and quite interesting narrative history which delivers on the provocative promise included within the title and subtitle. Read it and discover a fascinating chapter in American history wherein journalism, presidential politics, medical science, oral cancer, American fiscal policies, and the health of the nation collide in dramatic fashion. What stands out to me are some remarkable portraits of unforgettable personalities. I learned a lot while reading this book, but -- more importantly -- I enjoyed myself. 




4 comments:

  1. a fact little known to most, but all-important, once gained: acquiring knowledge is FUN... (mental image of us cognocenti clutching books to our breasts...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mudpuddle, buried treasures in history are worth the deep tunnel mining efforts!

      Delete
  2. Oh, interesting, Tim! I don't know enough about Grover Cleveland or his administration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, if I could live life over, I'd be a history teacher. Fascinating adventures in reading there.

      Delete