Friday, May 26, 2017

Why do writer's write?


First there is Huffington Post article about writers' motivations.

And there is this personal observation about writers, especially two 19th century American authors: I have been giving a lot of thought to the question, "Why do writers write?" My thinking is provoked by my reading of Hawthorne and Melville biographies and fiction. I remain unclear about their motivations, but I will probably make some discoveries, reach some conclusions, and offer some postings on Hawthorne's and Melville's fiction and their reasons for writing in the not too distant future.

Now there is this personal postscript. 

I invite you to take a look at the Huffington Post article; I tell you up front that I remain unconvinced by what I see as the central thesis of the article (and my point of view regarding this subject might either surprise or offend people, but more will be said about that article's thesis and my POV either in a later posting or in discussions here); now, though, I leave you with a two-part question:

(1) What are your thoughts about or reactions to the Huffington Post article?
(2) Why do you think writers write; moreover, if you are a writer, why do you write?




6 comments:

  1. Interesting question, Tim. I think all authors write for different reasons. That makes sense, too, given that all authors are unique. As for me? I write because I have stories to tell that will give me no peace until I do. I also write because I love the process of working with words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, are you also motivated by a desire for readers and $$$$.?

      Delete
  2. boy, i've thought for a long time i live in a different universe and now i know it... the author of that article has spent too much time not reading readable literature...
    i can't imagine anyone writing anything without, one, wanting to communicate something, or, two, having such an overwhelming impression of some segment of reality that they felt driven to put it on paper... writing is an ART, not a job in real estate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mudpuddle, is it art for art's sake rather than art for readers and filthy lucre?

      Delete
    2. well, if you put it that way, i'm not sure... haha; i'm forever saying what i think and then finding out i was wrong or short-sighted... such is life...

      Delete
  3. https://thepalaceat2.blogspot.com/2017/05/to-make-or-not-to-make.html "with good wishes for better health"

    ReplyDelete